Gap Connahs Quay 602


2 - 1

Bala Town

Gap Connahs Quay v
Bala Town

Kick off:19:30 Friday, 30 Aug 2013
at Deeside Stadium, Connahs Quay
Fixture Type: Welsh Premier League
Attendance: 202

Referee: Andy Harms

Nomads find winning way against Lakesiders

Ricky Evans scored the 12th minute opener for Nomads (Nik Mesney)

Ricky Evans scored the 12th minute opener for Nomads (Nik Mesney)

The Nomads found their first win of the campaign at a floodlit Deeside Stadium against Bala Town.

Both sides came to Deeside eager to find their first three points of the 2013/14 season with the visitors Bala Town having had two defeats whilst The Nomads had yet to find a win after drawing both of their games 0-0. The Nomads line up was familiar to Monday's meeting with Port Talbot but with a start for Simon Everall, as Michael Hayes was unfit from an injury picked up at the Genquip.

With the floodlights on, The Nomads started brightly with Simon Everall leading an attack that came close but was cleared by the Bala defence, whilst former Nomad Ben Collins delivered a great ball to give Ian Sheridan a chance to score before the assistant referee signalled for offside. On 12 minutes The Nomads found a breakthrough with Ricky Evans volleying the ball into the net after a nod down from Mark McGregor.

The Nomads' getting the upper hand of the game early seemed to rejuvenate Bala who went on to attack The Nomads area for most of the remaining half. Bala were dealt a blow when Ben Collins was forced off by an injury to make place for Stef Edwards. Bala's attacking efforts paid off when Kieran Smith hit the ball low into the bottom left corner past two defenders and goalkeeper Terry Mcormick to equalise for Bala.

Although it was The Nomads who had started off the game with a goal it was Bala who had been the stronger side ever since and half time was very welcome for the home side when referee Andrew Harms blew the whistle meaning the score stood 1-1 at the interval.

With the second half under way, it was clear both teams were after the three points with Ricky Evans shot goal wards being deflected and Mark Jones' effort going over the bar to Nomads relief. Bala's number 28 Kieran Smith was still causing problems for Nomads down the right wing. Bala came close when Ryan Valentine sent a ball to Sheridan who could only head it over.

Simon Everal (l) and Marc Smyth (r) celebrate The Nomads' 91st minute winner (Nik Mesney)

Simon Everal (l) and Marc Smyth (r) celebrate The Nomads' 91st minute winner (Nik Mesney)

Simon Everall almost got Nomads second goal on one of his many bursting runs but took one touch too many in an effort to get around the 'keeper and his shot went wide. The game approached its final quarter with a goal very much still in the game as both teams continued attacking in what made a very entertaining game. Bala looked to have scored, however the ball had already gone out for a corner.

The Nomads saw yellow for two players with Ryan Edwards being booked in an odd decision from the referee and also Jack Rowlands booked for a tackle. The game looked as if it was going to end as a third successive draw for The Nomads as three minutes of added time were displayed, but a minute later the game was won for The Nomads by new signing Mark Smyth who smashed the ball into the net from the goal line after some great work from Simon Everall. Bala tried to push back to salvage a point in the final minute but it was Nomads 2nd goal that wrapped the game up, with the full time score line Nomads 2-1 Bala Town.

The Nomads were pleased with their first win of the season with two great goals whilst holding off attacks from a strong Bala side for long periods of time.