Gap Connahs Quay 602


1 - 1

Bala Town

Gap Connahs Quay v
Bala Town

Kick off:19:45 Tuesday, 15 Apr 2014
at Deeside Stadium
Fixture Type: Welsh Premier League

Referee: Kevin Parry

Points are shared at Deeside

Mike Hayes celebrates his goal (Photo: Nik Mesney)

Mike Hayes celebrates his goal (Photo: Nik Mesney)

It was a tale of missed chances for the Lakesiders as the spoils were shared and it was a case of two points dropped rather than a point gained.

With only 30 seconds on the clock Mark Connolly fired over the bar to give McCormick an early scare.

Ex Lakesider Mike Hayes put an effort wide on 5 minutes in Quay´s forst real attempt.

Bala had a golden opportunity to open the scoring after 7 minutes as Kieran Smith put a ball on a plate for Mark Connolly who somehow struck it wide.

A couple of minutes later Thornton created the same move for Connolly but again it flew wide.

Even though Town were sharp - especially in midfield via Lunt and Thornton, Quay were looking threatening up from and tested Town´s defence.

It took 25 minutes for Bala to open the scoring as Lunt´s delivery was headed against the post by Thornton and it rebounded into the path of Valentine to smash it home to give Bala the lead.

Nomads player-manager Mark McGregor challenges for a header - Photo Nik Mesney

Nomads player-manager Mark McGregor challenges for a header - Photo Nik Mesney

From the restart Mark Jones went one-on-one with McCormick but he smothered it away. Jones then did the same again but was flagged offside and once again launched a 3rd attack but was deemed offside.

Kieran Smith attempted to lob McCormick before the interval but it was saved as they finished the half on top.

The second half was much better by Quay as they looked for an equaliser.

Tony Davies headed away Holden´s effort and Hayes put a shot well over the bar as they gained momentum.

Thornton broke through the defence but put his chance wide in a spell where they were weathering Quay´s storm of pressure.

Substitute Codling was caught offside after being released by Smith before Healey fired over and Hayes put a shot wide in an opportunity where he should´ve done better.

Their pressure eventually paid off as on 82 minutes Hayes´ strike from 6 yards found the net after Bala failed to clear.

Conall Murtagh´s shot from range was saved after good buildup before Mark Connolly put two freekicks over the bar in the closing minutes.