Date: Sun 20 Jan 2019

Met make history in winning Nathaniel MG Cup Final

Roscrow brace seals first major silverware for the Archers.

Cardiff Metropolitan 2-0 Cambrian & Clydach Vale BGC
Jenner Park
Cardiff Met scorer: Adam Roscrow 40’,90+4’

Two goals from Adam Roscrow saw Cardiff Met home to their first major cup win as they beat Cambrian & Clydach Vale BGC in the Nathaniel MG Cup Final.

Met led the game for large periods thanks to Roscrow's first five minutes before half time. Although Cambrian pushed the Archers hard in the second half, they couldn't find an equaliser, and the forward wrapped things up late into injury time as a record crowd for a Nathaniel MG Cup Final saw Met become the first team to lift the new trophy.

There was a hype around this final like perhaps we’ve never seen before, and as the match got underway we soon understood why with both sides coming out of the blocks quickly and looking to secure the perfect start to a hotly-contested game.

The nerves were obvious for both sides early-on, as neither could retain possession for sustained periods, but the first chance did fall to the designated home side as Adam Roscrow – who had a great match – broke down the right for Met, beat his man and cut inside before squaring for Will Evans who blazed a strike over from some 10 yards out.

Evans had another couple of chances early doors, but couldn’t make them count, and Cambrian and Clydach looked like they might make Met pay for their lack of a cutting edge after 25 minutes when Liam Reed found his way into the Archers box to strike, but his effort deflected and found the grateful hands of Alex Lang in the Met goal.

The game lost it’s rhythm soon afterwards as the occasion perhaps affected both sides somewhat, but still Met managed to pounce to bag their opening goal as Chris Baker read a situation well high up the pitch to win the ball back and feed the onrushing Roscrow who won a foot-race to the Cambrian box and finished coolly one-v-one with the keeper to make it 1-0.

It stayed that way until halftime, where the record crowd of 1,503 had a chance to catch their breath a little bit, but not for long as the second half started at a rapid pace, much like the first, with Baker having an early chance for Met when he shot wide from the edge of the box, but it was to be the last significant chance for Met for a while as Cambrian bombarded the Met goal with efforts soon afterwards.

A wonderful strike by Samuel Jones after 53 minutes looked destined for Lang’s top corner, only for the keeper to pull off an absolutely superb stop to protect his side’s slender lead, and Met threw bodies in the line of three great efforts by Richard French, Michael Jones and Kyle Jones soon afterwards in order to keep the game at 1-0 – an incredible display of commitment, really, as Cambrian should have been back on level terms during this spell.

Eliot Evans shot wide with 20 minutes to go, in what was a very end-to-end second half, and perhaps the Met man will have felt he should have scored as his effort went agonisingly wide of the far post. It looked like the match was destined for a 1-0 finish, until Cambrian committed goalkeeper Dan Bradley forward in second-half stoppage time for a free-kick. Met cleared, Roscrow raced clear and he made no mistake to make it 2-0 , sending the Archers into absolute delirium.

Don't worry, we hate spam as much as you do. We will only send you the latest updates and anything we think you will enjoy reading about.

Hit enter to send your tweet

Go to Youtube Channel
WPL Preview: Bangor City v The New Saints 01/12/12