Date: Sat 02 Feb 2019

Nomads go top as Caernarfon defeat Barry

Quay first side to beat Newtown at Latham in the league this season

Newtown 1-2 Connah’s Quay Nomads
Ahmadi 35’; Harrison 64’, Wilde 77’

Michael Wilde’s header sent Connah’s Quay back to the top of the JD Welsh Premier League as they became the first team to win at Latham Park in the League this season.

Michael Wilde heads the winner for Nomads at Newtown <em>(Photo: Nik Mesney/NCM Media)</em>

Michael Wilde heads the winner for Nomads at Newtown (Photo: Nik Mesney/NCM Media)

The striker met a cross from the returning Jake Phillips thirteen minutes from time to complete the Nomads’ comeback, after new Robins signing Poyra Ahmadi had put the home side in front in the first half.

That goal had come somewhat against the run of play. Nomads had enjoyed large spells of pressure in the first half until, with ten minutes to go until the break, Ahmadi found space to slot home into the corner via the post.

Nomads again enjoyed pressure early on into the second half, Wilde’s lob finding the roof of the net and George Horan going close twice, forcing Dave Jones into saves both times.

The visitors did then level, Rob Hughes finding Wilde in the box, whose goalward header was turned in by Harrison.

Wilde then struck the winner, moments after Jones had to go off through injury and was replaced by Jack Perry.

Reaction: Craig Harrison

Reaction: Chris Hughes

Caernarfon Town 2-0 Barry Town United
Bradley 65’, Craig 77’

Nomads overtook Barry as the latter fell to a 2-0 defeat away at Caernarfon.

The visitors had chances in the first half through Kayne McLaggon and Mo Touray, but were unable to find the target.

The Cofis looked the better side after the break, and goals from Sion Bradley and a rocket from Nathan Craig were enough to see Sean Eardley's side move up into fourth.

Carmarthen Town 1-0 Cardiff Met
Thomas 57'

A deflected Liam Thomas header was enough to see Carmarthen off to a good start to Phase 2 as they beat Cardiff Met for the second time this season at Richmond Park.

There was a bright start by both teams, but not many clear chances. Matt Neale had a shot deflected over the bar, while both Mael Davies and Luke Bowen were pegged back early on by the offside flag when through on goal.

Luke Bowen went close from a corner on 27’, heading just wide, while Cummings faked twice on the edge of the box before forcing Alex Lang into a diving save down to his left.

Met looked to hit back, Rees and Roscrow both testing the Town defence, the latter getting a shot on goal which was straight at Lee Idzi.

Bowen tested Lang early on after the restart, but the keeper had his cross/shot covered. Neale then forced Idzi into a save, the keeper turning a low effort behind for a corner.

Town then took the lead, through a goal that might go to the Dubious Goals Panel this week. Top scorer Liam Thomas was at the heart of it, his header from Greg Walters' cross being deflected in by Emlyn Lewis.

Carmarthen should have been two up on 66’, Bowen breaking down the right and crossing dangerously for Thomas, who’s first touch trapped the ball well but he scuffed the shot straight to Lang when anywhere else would have seen it go in.

Kyle McCarthy went close for Met, freeing himself up on the edge of the box but firing over. A late goalmouth scramble in the Old Gold box yielded nothing either, and Town held on to claim the points.

Cefn Druids 0-0 Llanelli Town

In the day's other game, Druids and Llanelli shared the points at the Rock.

The Reds might rue not taking the game though, having played the second half with a man advantage thanks to Nathan Peate's red card on the stroke of half time.

The home side battled though to restrict the visitors, though Town did have a late goal chalked out for offside.

Don't worry, we hate spam as much as you do. We will only send you the latest updates and anything we think you will enjoy reading about.

Hit enter to send your tweet

Go to Youtube Channel
WPL Preview: Bangor City v The New Saints 01/12/12